Stuck at the start

I just adore Don't Look Now!'s patterns- so fresh and fun!  So, when we found out that we are having a granddaughter, I went straight to my collection of patterns and found this one.  I gave our daughter the option to choose between a few, but I was thrilled when she said she liked this one.  Now, while this applique' is not for the faint-of-heart, it isn't as hard as it looks.  Just a lot of pieces, but it is raw edge, so it's doable by machine.

I just adore Don’t Look Now!’s patterns- so fresh and fun! So, when we found out that we are having a granddaughter, I went straight to my collection of patterns and found this one. I gave our daughter the option to choose between a few, but I was thrilled when she said she liked this one. Now, while this applique’ is not for the faint-of-heart, it isn’t as hard as it looks. Just a lot of pieces, but it is raw edge, so it’s doable by machine.

To be truthful, even though this project isn't as complicated as it would seem, I do have to admit that I got stuck and it ended up in a plastic (gasp) box for a little while.  This is one of those projects that you have to lay it out and get it done without a lot of interruptions- you can't start to fuse all of those flowers and then put it away.  So, I had to get a question resolved before I could move on...

To be truthful, even though this project isn’t as complicated as it would seem, I do have to admit that I got stuck and it ended up in a plastic (gasp) box for a little while. This is one of those projects that you have to lay it out and get it done without a lot of interruptions- you can’t start to fuse all of those flowers and then put it away. So, I had to get a question resolved before I could move on…

Now, I may pretty good at what I do, but I'm not THAT good.  I followed the directions in the pattern and used the Clover Tape Maker to make 1/4" bias tape for the stems, and that's where I stopped.  Hello.  The pattern says to adhere the 1/4" stems to the background using 1/4" SteamASeam2.  Sounds easy enough, right?  Well I suppose it would be if your stems were all perfect 1/4" the entire length of the tape, and if you have ninja skills at lining up a piece of sticky 1/4" fusible web to a 1/4" piece of wiggly fabric.  However, I fail in both aspects, so it came to a screeching halt at this point.  I will get back to you with a resolution.  Trust me, I will find a way.

Now, I may pretty good at what I do, but I’m not THAT good. I followed the directions in the pattern and used the Clover Tape Maker to make 1/4″ bias tape for the stems, and that’s where I stopped. Hello. The pattern says to adhere the 1/4″ stems to the background using 1/4″ SteamASeam2. Sounds easy enough, right? Well I suppose it would be if your stems were all perfect 1/4″ the entire length of the tape, and if you have ninja skills at lining up a piece of sticky 1/4″ fusible web to a 1/4″ piece of wiggly fabric. However, I fail in both aspects, so it came to a screeching halt at this point. I will get back to you with a resolution. Trust me, I will find a way.

2 thoughts on “Stuck at the start

  1. You might want to try using a glue stick to put your stems i place. I’ve been reading about that on the blog by bari j. She talks about liqui-que, and basically you just use washable glue to hold the applique pieces in place until you get them sewed down. Assuming that you will wash the quilt before gifting it this might be an easy solution for you. Just a thought

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s