Okay, so this might be the first time in my retreat going history that I have finished a quilt within a month of the event. I mean really, I still have quilt tops from past years I haven’t finished yet, but this one? It’s done. If you read my earlier post, you know that this pattern is “Urban Cabin” by Atkinson Designs. You also know that I never seem to purchase patterns and fabric at the same time, so I don’t normally have correct yardage. This is the perfect example, hence the 1″ piano key border, and the leftover 10″ squares on the back.
It’s probably because I have the added pressure of there being a purpose for this quilt- I want to give it to my sister-in-law. I find that having a real purpose usually spurs me on a little more than just for the fun of it. Although, that should be a good enough reason as well!
I do a lot of improvisational quilting, mostly because I am usually ill prepared, or I just don’t want to do it that way. This time, I only had a stack of 10″ squares and a smallish bundle of 2 1/2″ strips, plus just barely enough of the dark brown for the background. This led to a problem when it came to the binding and all I had enough left to use were the 2 1/2″ strips. I couldn’t put them right up next to the piano key border- it was just too much. So, I dug through the scraps of dark brown and found that I had just enough left to make a 1/4″ flange to break it up a bit. Worked perfectly if you ask me.
I had a few 10″ squares left, so I dug through my bins to find just enough of these other fabrics to put together a back. I really love piecing backs, and I really hate not using ALL of the fabric I have purchased.
So, as if a finished retreat quilt wasn’t enough to puff up my pride, I also am pretty dang pleased with the photo editing I learned how to do for this post. By golly, I will figure out all this new fangled technology. After all, improv is my thing.